Thursday, March 1, 2018

Good-bye Parker

Dear Parker.

Thank you for joining our family. I still remember the day , January 17, 2007.

A very nice lady from the golden rescue delivered you to our home. They say you were about 18 months old at the time.

You had two previous names:  Dudley and Buddy. We didn’t want you to be tied to your past so renamed you. 

You were put into the rescue because you knocked up your previous owners schnauzer. So they said anyway. 



You were just so full of joy. Your whole body would jump in the air with excitement. I remember that day. I was sitting on our ugly green sectional couch in the living room. You jumped up and put your big head on my lap. You knew this would be your forever home.

At first I wasn’t sure about you though. We had Carley, Perfect Carley Perfect Carley could do no wrong. She was well trained and very well behaved. And you, well you were a little crazy. But it didn’t take long and my love for you was just a strong as it was for her. Every morning before my alarm you would wake me up with your slobbery face. You would jump right up on our huge king-size bed and rest your face on mine. Sometime you would even sleep beside me .

You didn’t lick or kiss. In fact you never licked or kissed . You just lightly sniffed. 

I remember I could ask you for a hug. You would jump up on me in the chair and wrap your legs around my neck. And just sniff my face. I loved it. We spent a lot of time trying to train you. But every time I enrolled you in a new training class you would bark aggressively at the other dogs. Not meaning to harm anybody but you wanted to let everybody know that you were in the room. You just wouldn’t give up until the class was over.

It was very hard to walk with you on a leash. You were very strong And would pull me. I was so used to Carley who didn’t require at leash to walk anywhere. That perfect Carley again.

You loved Carley. She hated you.. we actually adopted you so you could keep her company. You see we had bought this big house out in the country and Carley would be here by herself during the day for a few hours. So we thought you would be a good companion for her. You would be her sister. I even called you siblings. But she wanted nothing to do with you at all.

You didn’t care. You’d pounce at her from time to time annoying her. Trying to get her to take the bait. Like siblings do :)


One thing you did love was to swim. I discovered quickly that you loved dock diving. You and I entered the Belleville dock diving competition during the Bellleville waterfront festival in 2011. We had a great time the two of us. You loved putting on the show for all those people watching. 


I still remember the day that we brought Sophia home from the hospital. A human baby we weren’t sure how our dogs would react. You instantly fell in love with her. I remember you putting your giant head inside the bassinet as it gently rocked beside our bed. It was like you were rocking her. You would just stare at her. A gentle giant. Your big white puffy head. We used to joke that you look like the Tiotea Lion. 

We were so lucky. You were such a gentle dog two our three human babies. Never a concern that there was any kind of aggressive behavior. Unless of course a stranger came to the door when you would let them know that you were here. It actually gave me peace of mind at night knowing that you were here.


Before we had kids you and I would do home visits to potential golden retriever adopters. I would take you with me strangers homes and see how they would react with you. You and your crazy self. If they could handle you there, I knew they would be perfect Owners for a beloved golden retriever.


You lived until you were about 13 1/2 years old. It’s kind of unheard of in the golden retriever world. 

You were loyal boy. Everyday I would tell you that I loved you. I would call you my big handsome man you loved it. 

I would take you for rides in the Van. You loved to come with me in the Van to pick up the kids from school. 


If you didn’t come to pick them up though you were always waiting at the window when we got home. You absolutely loved Sophia. You would wait for her to go to bed every night. You would sleep on your soft pillow in her room. Every night.  


I loved sharing pictures of you on Facebook. You made a lot of people smile. 


I will never forget the time we took you to Woofstock in Toronto. We stayed at the Royal York Hotel downtown Toronto. The four of us. This was before we had human babies. You were terrified to stand on the escalator. And your dad had to hold you thrashing around. You loved spending the night in the hotel.  


I remember you and I looking after the booth for the golden rescue organization at the Toronto sportsman show one year.

You were such a good boy. I showstopper really. We had more people stop at our booth just to say hello to you. You just took in all the attention you could. You were such a good travel actually. He would ride of the car quietly with no problems. 



Three weeks ago we made the selfless choice to let you go. We didn’t want you to experience any pain or suffering with what was going on inside you. We did what no dog owner wants to do. I didn’t want to go through with it. But now as I reflect back I know it was right. You left us here on earth very peacefully. Like you knew it was time. I hope you and Carley have reunited. Keep a watch over us my handsome man. We will see you again. 


Xoxox 




No comments: