Monday, April 25, 2011

Christopher Williams Birth Story.




Christopher William Kerr
I am bit behind in posting this. But better late then never.

My final OB appointment was March 2nd. My BP was on the higher side so we decided it was time to meet you. I was scheduled for a Foley Catheter Friday March 4th. A long tube is inserted (by our OB) into my cervix, it’s then filled with about 20cc of fluid. This carefully opens the cervix over the next few hours. They tape the catheter to the inside of my leg (very pretty) and send me home for the night.
Saturday March 5th
The hospital calls very early (6:15am) asks me if I am ready to meet you! I said yes please. Preferably by noon if that ok. The nurse laughs and says she will see what she can do. 
Your Dad drops us off at the hospital. We had been through this process before so we knew it would take time to get all the admin stuff done and then time to get me (plugged in) I was GBS + so I needed antibiotics.
You Dad took your sister to spend the day with our closest friends The Fykes. He came back to the hospital in time for them to start the pitocin drip. So we wait, and wait, and wait. Between about 10 am and 2 pm nothing changes. Cervix is about 3 cm with mild contractions. 2:15 Dr Ademidun our OB breaks my water. Bleh! Within about 15 minutes the contractions start to come on stronger and stronger. I felt very queasy. About an hour later I asked for the epidural. They whisked me off to a delivery room and the epidural was administered by a doctor. During the process my contractions were coming so strong and hard. I knew I had to stay still but it was so hard. The doctor ended up missing the prime spot for the epidural. This caused spinal fluid to leak. I was advised I would probably get a bad headache. I laughed and said nothing could be worse then the pain of contractions. I ate my words a few minutes later. I would take contractions over what the call a “spinal headache” any day. It was the worst pain of my life. The left side of my face ached so badly. I could not even open my left eye. Poor Daddy did not know what to do. He just rubbed and rubbed my hand. After about a ½ hour the pain moved to the back of my head and the pounding sensation settled a bit.
About 5pm I asked your Dad to head home to let out the dogs. I was sitting around 4 cm with little change. I thought it was a good opportunity incase we were in for a long night!
Around 5:30pm your Dad texts me and says he is home dogs are fine and he is on his way back in. It’s about a 25-30 min drive.
Things start to change very quickly. I go from 4 to 6cm to 8cm in 30 minutes. I can really feel you moving down. I frantically text your Dad. He texts back saying he is hitting every red light! I think oh great he is going to miss your birth. He shows up and I am around 9 cm with tremendous pressure. I get checked again a minute later and I am a full 10. Ready to go. Well not really because our Doctor is at home. YIKES! The nurses ask me no to push! I think ya ok that going to be easy. I had the sensation of you sliding out. I start to shake uncontrollably. I notice one of my nurses casually putting on a delivery gown. I was breathing very heavily. Our doctor was just minutes away. I continue to shake. I could feel you slipping down with every contraction. The feeling was so strange.
Finally a couple minutes later Dr Ademidun arrives.
3 1/2 pushes later we meet for the first time and our family became 4.
Saturday March 5th at 6:34 pm and 7lbs 10 oz. You were a perfect 9 on the APGAR just like your big sister.
The nurse cleaned me up and brought you over to me. You latched on perfectly and started eating like a champ!
I am so in love with my little man. 

No comments: